Let us make your dreams of becoming a school counselor a reality with our newest program.
Visit College of Education for more information on Master of Education in School Counseling.
As a student in the school counseling program you will:
- become skilled in the delivery of services within schools
- be knowledgeable about current trends in school counseling programs
- be able to demonstrate the ability to establish and implement interventions that meet children’s and adolescent’s needs
- demonstrate the ability to collaborate with other school personnel, families, and community services
- be able to conduct assessments of cognitive, behavioral, and academic needs of children and youth
- be able to impact K-12 student learning
The Doane University Master of Education in School Counseling program is designed for licensed teachers who have taught for two years OR take 12 hours of coursework in teacher education and complete an approved Special Education and Human Relations course, as designated by the Nebraska Department of Education. It will include:
- 48 hours of course work
- 150 hours of school based practicum experiences
- 450 internship hours as designated by the Nebraska Department of Education
- A copy of your current teaching certificate
- Evidence of 2 years teaching experience
- An undergraduate GPA of 2.80 or higher
- A graduate GPA of 3.0 after 9 hours of course work
- Three written letters of recommendation
- Provisional admittance to the graduate program
Courses offered for the school counseling program are a blend of Master of Education (EDU/COE) and Master of Arts in Counseling (COU) program courses. Per credit hour costs for both programs can be found on the Financial Aid tuition page.
To prepare graduates to become highly competent school counselors through the ability to reflect, work collaboratively and respond to student needs.
Contact us today to get started:
Leah Schaber; email@example.com
Olivia Wallroff; firstname.lastname@example.org
Lyn Forester; email@example.com
Campus and online course availability varies by program. Please contact the enrollment team for more information.