Academic Success Services
The Academic Success Center is comprised of a dedicated team of professionals whose mission is to help you obtain academic and personal success.
The transition from high school to college level academics is a dramatic one, but it need not be traumatic if students make use of the resources Doane University provides through the Academic Success Center (ASC).In contrast to many students' high school course experiences, most college level courses demand a whole new study and exam preparation strategy. Most college professors fully expect that students will complete the assigned textbook readings and come to class prepared to ask questions and engage in discussion generated by the reading assignment. Professors' lectures complement and supplement the required reading assignment, but they are not intended to substitute for required readings. Likewise, students must attend lectures and labs if they are to gain the full benefit of their educational opportunity. Completing the assigned readings, attending lectures and labs, being able to record accurate reading/lecture notes and reviewing their notes regularly in preparation for exams and finals are all critical to any student's academic success.
Doane's Academic Success Center (ASC) provides academic assistance, training and intervention to students who wish to improve their academic performance. The ASC consists of two separate programs: The Doane Learning Center (DLC) and Doane Student Support Services (DSS). Both programs are housed in the Communication Building .
The Doane Learning Center is a walk-in center for students wanting to raise their grades or improve their study skills. The program provides academic counseling, peer tutoring, and writing assistance.
Doane Student Support Services (DSS) Student Support Services is a federally funded TRiO program, which acts as a bridge linking faculty and students. Our mission is to "increase retention and graduation rates among program participants by providing comprehensive, individualized academic support." Students qualify for Student Support Services if they meet one or more of the eligibility requirements and have an academic need. The program is funded to serve a limited number of students. Although applications are processed immediately, students may be placed on a waiting list.
- First generation: Neither parent nor guardian(s) have earned a four-year college degree
- Income eligible: Student must meet federal income guidelines according to Federal TRIO Programs Current Low-Income Levels
- Student with a disability: Can document a disability that significantly interferes with academic performance (Click here for Disability Services)
More About ASC Services
- Peer Tutoring: Students may request a peer tutor for most courses offered at Doane. Upper class tutors have been recommended by the faculty, have done well in the specific course(s) for which they tutor and have received training to enhance their tutoring skills. Tutors clarify concepts, suggest ways to organize class notes and help students prepare for exams. Some tutors also offer group test review sessions before major exams in selected courses.
- TRIO Grant Opportunity: Learning how to manage your money in college will pay benefits years after you graduate. Participation in this workshop will make you eligible to possibly receive additional grant funding.
- Individual Writing Assistance: The writing specialist and tutors are available to help students organize and revise writing assignments and application essays for graduate/professional school. The writing lab in the Academic Success Center is equipped with PCs, word processing software and a laser printer. Students may drop in or make appointments with the writing specialist.
- Close Monitoring/Academic Counseling: These weekly sessions assist students in establishing realistic grade goals and monitoring their progress in reaching those goals. The ASC staff works with students to improve their study habits, time management and exam preparation skills.
- Exam Analysis: Students who seek to improve their performance on course exams may request an exam analysis. This tool enables students to clearly see why errors were made and to develop a study plan for the next test.
- Preparation for Graduate/Professional School Entry Exams: The ASC staff conducts workshops to train students who are preparing for the Graduate Record Exam (GRE). Individual or small-group tutorial sessions are offered to students who are preparing to take the Pre-Professional Skills Test (PPST) or the CMEE, for entry into the teacher education program. Study guides are available for the GRE, PPST, CMEE, LSAT (Law School Admissions Test) and GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test).
Contact the Academic Success Center at 402.826.8554.
Feedback and Evaluation of Tutors (We want to hear from YOU)!!
We are always interested in finding ways to help our students succeed in their academic career. If you have taken advantage of the services the Academic Success Center provides, please take the survey's below and let us know what works and how we can help you in the future.