College of Arts and Sciences
The International Studies program at Doane University is a multidisciplinary major, offering students the opportunity to experience a globally-focused education spanning the humanities, social sciences, as well as business and economics.
Majoring in International Studies provides students with a strong foundation for future graduate studies, careers in a variety of fields with an international focus; such as business, government, education or the non-profit sector.
With increasing interactions between global cultures and societies, it is necessary for students to understand the many advantages of globalization.
Interested in Doane?
Let us know!
The Doane Difference
Rich Campus Culture
With over 60 student-led clubs and organizations, including a Student Programming Board that sponsors competitions and guest appearances, our campus is a community. From Athletes to Zumba enthusiasts, there is a place for you at Doane University.
At Doane University, we reward students for their achievements both in and outside of the classroom. Through scholarships, grants, work-study, and on-campus employment, our students look forward to starting jobs, not payment plans.
One of the most important college experiences is engaging and learning in your classes. At the Doane Learning Center, our students have free access to academic counseling and support to exceed in their studies.
By taking advantage of our unique 4-1-4 academic calendar, scholarship opportunities and extensive institutional network, over half of our students have traveled within the U.S or abroad before they graduate. Most students use their scholarship funds towards short-term college-sponsored study tours organized during the January or May interterm. Led by faculty, these tours have taken our students from Africa, to Ireland, to New Zealand. Others have spent an entire semester or year, at one of our international affiliated institutions.
Requirements for the International Studies Major:
Select 9 credits from the following courses:
Complete an additional 15 credits chosen from the following courses:
A Single Foreign Language
Global Involvement Club
Doane University is affiliated with several International Institutions, allowing students to work on global collaboration while still completing their education.
- Through the Council of International Education, you may study a variety of programs around the world, including Australia, Belgium, China, France, and Spain.
- Take intensive language study, as well as general undergraduate studies in Austria, China, England, France, Mexico, Spain, and Wales.
- Lancaster University hosts a variety of flexible programs offering opportunities to explore Europe as you study.
- Doane students are able to study all around the world with International Studies Abroad.
- For students looking for intensive German language study, considering visiting the Goeth Institut. Doane University has a consortium agreement with the Goethe. Students will sit for internationally recognized proficiency exams at the conclusion of their stay abroad. These exams both enhance and support their future career paths.
- Sorbonne University in Paris
Fulbright Scholarships are National Awards given every year to American College Students, Teachers, and Scholars to use towards studying, teaching or conducting research on an international level for a full year. Doane University has a longstanding tradition of Fulbright Scholars, past students have studied in Spain, Germany, France, and South Korea.
The thing I love most about Doane is that there are no limits here.
Lavance Reed ’17
Sociology, emphasis in Criminology