Getting Started at Doane

Welcome, Military Connected Students.

Thank you for choosing Doane University to pursue your educational goals. Here are the items we need from you in order to begin reporting your school attendance to VA:

  1. A copy of your Certificate of Eligibility. After you apply to use your GI bill benefits at Doane University on the VonApp website, VA will send you a Certificate of Eligibility. A copy of your application can be a temporary substitute, but we will still need the Certificate of Eligibility as well. Instructions for how to apply with VA to use your benefits at Doane University can be found below.*
  2. Fill out the Doane VA Student Enrollment form.

These two documents need to be submitted to James Hawthrone. Here are your options to submit:

  • Scan / email to James at  
  • Drop off a hard copy at the Registrar's Office at Doane University. 
  • Fax to James' attention at 402-466-4228.

*How to apply with VA to use your GI bill benefits at Doane University:

Go to VonApp to complete the appropriate form to use your GI bill benefits at Doane University. The information below will help you determine which form is right for you. The VonApp website is:

Original Application (when you’ve never used VA education benefits):

Form 1990 for veterans

Form 5490 for dependents

Form 1990e for ToE (Transfer of Entitlement) students

Request for Change of Program (when you are transferring benefits from one school to another):

Form 1995 for veterans and ToE (Transfer of Entitlement) students

Form 5495 for dependents

Questions? Contact James Hawthrone ( by email or at 402.466.4774.

For additional information about getting your attendance certified for benefits, see James. If you need other information about your benefits, go to and use “submit a question” or the toll-free number: 888-GIBILL-1 (888-442-4551). The assistance line is open between 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. Central Time, Monday- Friday.

Including area code
VA Benefit Choice
Note: If uncertain which chapter you plan to use, please research and decide before completing this form. The eBenefits website has helpful information, or contact VA using the information listed above if you need assistance. Note: Don’t forget to submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility to James Hawthrone. Exception: If you are using CH 31 benefits, we do not need your Certificate of Eligibility.
Important: If you receive tuition assistance you are required to submit your tuition assistance forms every term when you register for classes.
Example: August/2015


Every college degree is its own adventure. Start yours today. More ›