Mathematics Research at Doane
One of the goals of the Math Department is to increase the ability of every student to research and solve problems. Every math major, regardless of emphasis, completes a senior research project as part of a two semester research sequence.
During the first semester, the student works with faculty members to explore mathematical research and develop a research project. In the second semester, the student works closely with a faculty member to carry out the project.
Finally, the results of the project are shared in the form of thesis and a presentation at MindExpo, Doane University's undergraduate research symposium, or at the Doane University Symposium in Undergraduate Math (SUM).
Past senior research projects include:
- Kayli King Statistical Study of Scoring in GPAC Women's Soccer
- Kayla Bamesberger Mathematics Behind KenKen Puzzles
- Teylor Wolfe Team Fortress 2 and Game Theory
- Matraisha Fuchs Top Ten Most Influential Mathematicians in Elementary Algebra
Spend your summer getting paid to work on math!
You can work on research as part of the Doane University Summer Research Program. You will work with a faculty member to develop a summer math project and receive a stipend!
Summer research projects include:
- Amy Hung and Austin Uden How to play Don't Break the Ice
- Emily Alfs An exploration of small puzzles related to 31derful
Contact any Faculty Member to discuss a project!