Getting Started at Doane
Welcome, Military Connected Students.
Thank you for choosing Doane University to pursue your educational goals. Here are the items we need from you in order to begin reporting your school attendance to VA:
- A copy of your Certificate of Eligibility. After you apply to use your GI bill benefits at Doane University on the VonApp website, VA will send you a Certificate of Eligibility. A copy of your application can be a temporary substitute, but we will still need the Certificate of Eligibility as well. Instructions for how to apply with VA to use your benefits at Doane University can be found below.*
- Fill out the Doane VA Student Enrollment form.
These two documents need to be submitted to James Hawthrone. Here are your options to submit:
- Scan / email to James at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Drop off a hard copy at the front desk at Doane University. Make sure to put James' name on it so it gets routed to him instead of your advisor.
- Fax to James' attention at 402-466-4228.
*How to apply with VA to use your GI bill benefits at Doane University:
Go to VonApp to complete the appropriate form to use your GI bill benefits at Doane University. The information below will help you determine which form is right for you. The VonApp website is: http://www.vabenefits.vba.va.gov/vonapp/main.asp
Original Application (when you’ve never used VA education benefits):
Form 1990 for veterans
Form 5490 for dependents
Form 1990e for ToE (Transfer of Entitlement) students
Request for Change of Program (when you are transferring benefits from one school to another):
Form 1995 for veterans and ToE (Transfer of Entitlement) students
Form 5495 for dependents
Questions? Contact James Hawthrone (email@example.com) by email or at 402.466.4774.
For additional information about getting your attendance certified for benefits, see James. If you need other information about your benefits, go to www.gibill.va.gov and use “submit a question” or the toll-free number: 888-GIBILL-1 (888-442-4551). The assistance line is open between 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. Central Time, Monday- Friday.