Everyone has questions. We just pulled together a few of the frequently asked ones here for you to search. Let us know if you need any additional assistance. We'd be glad to help.

Understand what is a scholarly source

Scholarly journals typically have the following characteristics: longer in-depth articles written by experts in the jargon of the discipline, with illustrations that support the text such as charts and graphs; very few advertisements and no glossy paper; and articles are reviewed and critically evaluated by a board of experts. A quick way to determine if an article is scholarly is to look for this article structure:

  • abstract

  • literature review

  • methodology

  • results

  • conclusion

  • bibliography

Using Department Printers

Printer Models by Department:

  • Service Bureau - MX-M850

  • Education - MX-M550

  • Science and Math - MX-M700

  • Advancement - MX-3500

  • Business Office - MX3500

  • Gaylord - MX-M350

  • Library - MX-M350 

If you have any questions, please contact the Helpdesk .

What are the minimum computer requirements for taking online classes?

Minimum Computer Requirements:

  Desktop/Laptop Mobile Phone/Tablet
Operating System Windows: 7, 8, 10

Mac OSX: 10.8, 10.9, 10.10, 10.11, 10.12
iOS, Android, Windows Mobile, Chrome OS
Processor 1 GHz Processor 1 GHz Processor
Memory 4GB of RAM 2GB of RAM
Monitor 1024 x 768 Resolution n/a
Hard Drive Space 5GB of free space n/a
Home Internet Speed DSL — 12Mbps

Cable — 20Mbps
DSL — 12Mbps

Cable — 20Mbps
Internet Browser IE8, IE9, IE10, Safari 5+, or Chrome Android, Safari 6+, Chrome 35+
Java Installation required Some features not available in Mobile versions
Flash Player Installation required Some features not available in Mobile versions
Camera/Microphone For some classes these items are required. Please check with your instructor before the beginning of class! If you need to purchase these and they are not built in – we recommend 1st tier vendors like Dell, Lenovo, Apple, etc  
For Blackboard Access Go to bb2.doane.edu in a supported browser Need to Download Application through the App Store or Google Play


What are the requirements for admission to the program?

Application requirements for the Initial Certification at the Advanced Level program are outlined on the application process page linked below.

Initial Certification at the Advanced Level Application Process

What can I bring to campus?

Beds, desks, chairs, study lamps, and closet/drawer space are provided in each room. You may want to bring items from home and collaborate with your roommate about what will give your room a more personal feeling. Click here for a list of recommended items to bring with you to campus.

What coursework does the cadre take together?

- EDL-675 – Foundations of Educational Leadership – 6 credit hours – Summer I

- EDL-680/681/682 – Elementary, Middle Grades, or Secondary Field Experience/Practicum I – 3 credit hours – Fall 1

- EDL-683/684/685 – Elementary, Middle Grades, or Secondary Field Experience/Practicum II – 3 credit hours – Spring I

- EDL-621 – Leadership Internship – 3 credit hours – Summer II

- EDL-686 – Advanced Educational Leadership I – 6 credit hours – Summer II

- EDL:-687 – Advanced Educational Leadership II – 3 credit hours – Fall II

- EDL-695 – Research/Project Implementation – 3 credit hours – Spring II

What coursework does the candidate take separately or as “Stand-Alone” courses?

- EDL-676 – Assessment of Student Learning for Educational Leaders – 3 credit hours – offered in Spring II – students may substitute EDU-602 Assessment of Learning for this course. EDU-602 is offered at various locations each semester

- EDU-600 Improvement of Instruction – 3 credit hours – offered at various locations each semester

- EDU-601 – Critical Issues in Curriculum and Instruction – 3 credit hours – offered at various locations each semester

What degree and endorsement will the Educational Leadership graduate earn?

Completion of the program results in an Education Specialist Degree from Doane University. Graduates are eligible to apply to the State of Nebraska for an administrative endorsement as a superintendent.

What do I do if I don't have my own computer?

Laptops can be checked out from the library during normal hours. There are also computer labs located in Perkins Library, Communications, and Chab Weyers Education & Hixson Lied Art buildings.

What do I need to complete before I can register for classes?

You must complete an application for graduate study before you can register for any graduate education courses. 

M.Ed. Curriculum and Instruction Application Process

What endorsements does Doane offer for certified teachers to add to their certificate?

Doane offers endorsements in Early Childhood, ESL, Mild, Moderate Special Education, and Reading Specialist. The coursework required for the endorsement can also be used to meet elective requirements for the Curriculum and Instruction degree program.

What happens if I forget to register?

Students who do not schedule their courses during the registration period, will be contacted by a member of the retention committee.

What happens when the outside recycle bin is full?

Once the outside recycling bin is full you have two options.  First, hold on to your recycling until Friday afternoon when the outside bins are typically dumped.  Second, you can place your recyclable materials into the trash.  If you do this they will not be recycled.  To avoid this problem, encourage others to crush and compact all their recyclables.  There is more than enough space in the outside bins to handle most of our recycling needs if we compact our recycling.

What happens when the trash bin next to a recycle bin is full?

Despite the need for recycling on campus, the outside recycling bins serve as backups to the main trash bins.  As bugs are worked out of our system we will try to add extra recycle bins as needed.  Trash bin space can be conserved if you encourage others to compact their trash before it is thrown away.

What holiday decorations are allowed in the rooms?

Enjoy the holiday season, but remember to be safe as well. Due to concerns in regards to Fire Safety the following items are prohibited in Residence Halls.

  1. Live trees

  2. Extension cords

  3. Holiday lights that are not UL approved

  4. Candles

Safety Tips:

  1. Turn off all holiday lights when you are leaving your room or are going to sleep.

  2. Don't utilize lights that interfere with a door opening or shutting.

  3. If you are baking, use a timer so you don't forget something in the oven.

  4. Decorations and trees must not cover fire extinguishers, exit signs, exit doors, etc., or negate the purpose of these devices. Be sure all corridors and exits are clear and available for routine use.

  5. Take decorations down after the holidays and dispose of them properly or store them in a safe place.

Additional questions may be answered by accessing the Student Handbook and referring to the residence life section, or by contacting the Residence Life Office atdoanehousing@doane.edu.

What if I cannot find someone to live with in time for Housing Selection?

You have two options.  First, you can reserve a double room as a private.  Second, you can sign a waiting list for roommates.  The waiting list is for general housing.  You can request a hall when signing the list, but you cannot request a specific room.  Depending on availability, we may not be able to honor your hall request, either.

What if I cannot make it to room selection for Traditional Housing on May 3rd?

Please stop by the Residence Life Office in Perry at your earliest convenience.  You will need to complete the housing selection form, sign a housing contract, and designate a representative using a proxy form.  Your representative will need to present the selection form and contract when s/he chooses your room; the proxy form must be turned in to the Residence Life Office prior to selection.
Please note: By selecting a person to represent you, you are giving them the right to pick your room and use your lottery points when making that selection.  We strongly encourage you to give them a list of your first choice and several backups.
If we have not received your proxy form by noon on May 3rd, your representative will not be allowed to pick a room for you.

What if I don't like my roommate? Can I change rooms?

Changes in room assignments will be granted for a two-week period each semester. At any other time, changes will carry a $75 room change/processing fee. Contact your RA/RD to change rooms.

What if I register for less than 12 hours?

The business office will bill you as a part-time student.  Estimated bills will reflect your early registration hours and Financial Aid Award letters will be issued based on the registered hours.

What is a cadre?

A cadre is group of people who form a collaborative learning community. The members of a cadre take the core hours in the Education Specialist program together. By working in a cadre, students experience a working model aimed at both developing leadership potential and experiencing the work of a collaborative group of educators.