Preparing Your Computer to bring on campus
Before You Come to Campus
- Windows users:
- If you do not have an antivirus program installed - download AVG and install it on your computer to protect your computer until you get to campus, and when you get to campus. AVG is free and may be found here . This will protect your computer from harmful software, and having a clean computer will speed up your computer registration process!
- If you already have an anti-virus program installed - The Doane University residential network or ResNet requires students to run AVG 8.0 antivirus that is free to download. If you have other anti-virus programs this program will supplement the existing anti-virus.
- Run Windows Updates-Visit the web site http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and do the following:
- Make sure you have Windows updates turned on.
- Scan your computer and install all critical updates. You may have to run windows updates more than once for this process to complete. To be safe run it at least three times.
- Turn off your Windows Firewall-If you have Windows XP, turn on your Windows Firewall.
- Get Spybot Search & Destroy-Download, install, and run Spybot Search & Destroy.
- Uninstall Any Peer-2-Peer Applications-Remove any Peer-to-Peer applications such as Bittorrent, Limewire, Bearshare, etc..
- Know the Law of the Land-Read and understand the Appropriate Use Policy , and the Technology Handbook as these rules and regulations will be enforced on the TigerNet.
- Macintosh users: Check for updates by selecting the Apple menu and system update.
- Linux Users: Your operating system is not supported on Doane University's campus.