How do I get my VA benefits started?

First you need to complete an application.  An electronic form with complete directions is online at VONAPP.  If you are claiming education benefits as a dependent of a veteran, or if you have previously used VA education benefits, you can also use VONAPP. 

Veterans should provide member copy # 4 of the DD Form 214. Reservists/National Guard soldiers should obtain a Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) from your unit administrative official.  These forms also should be turned into your campus VA representative.

You can apply by completing VA Form 28-1900,Disabled Veterans Application for Vocational Rehabilitation.  A veteran who is eligible for an evaluation under Chapter 31 must complete the VA Form 28-8832,Application for Vocational Educational Counseling and meet with a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (VRC). If the VRC determines that an employment handicap exists as a result of a service-connected disability, the veteran is found entitled to services. The VRC and the veteran will then continue counseling to select a track of services and jointly develop a plan to address the rehabilitation, employment, and educational needs of the veteran.

Interested in Doane? Let us know.

By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.