Important COVID-19 Information

For all University updates and resources regarding COVID-19, please visit

F-1 Students and CPT Off-Campus Employment

As an F-1 student, employment must be authorized.
Employment is defined as any type of work performed or services provided in exchange for money, tuition, fees, books, supplies, room, food or any other benefit. Please consult with the Office of International Programs before beginning any work or service of any kind.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

CPT employment must be an integral part of an established curriculum and must be directly related to a student's major area of study. CPT has authorized employment and may be defined as work/study, internship, cooperative education, internship practicum, or other types of required or optional practicum. Students must be registered for a specific course in their department that fulfills a program requirement, such as BUS41.

CPT can be full-time, more than 20 hours per week, or part-time, 20 hours or less per week. Students registered for CPT during a Fall/Spring semester must also be registered for a full course of study which must include the course required for CPT. Students working part-time CPT during summer vacation do not need to be registered full-time for classes.

Students must be in legal status includes, but is not limited to:

  • Possessing a valid passport.
  • Registered as a full-time student each Fall/Spring semester.
  • Been in F-1 student status for at least one full academic year.
  • To qualify for CPT you must have:
  • A valid, and unexpired I-20 that lists your current field of study and education level
  • A valid, unexpired passport
  • Been a full-time student to one full academic year
  • Registered full-time every semester you are enrolled at Doane 
  • Undergraduate Students: Minimum of 12 credit hours
  • Graduate Students: Minimum of 9 credit hours
  • For Doctoral and Thesis-Masters Students: Do you still have required course left to complete? Not including portfolio, thesis, or dissertation hours required. 

If you do not qualify for any of the above, contact the Office of International Programs. 

If you qualify:

  • Download the CPT packet
  • Meet with the Career Development Center, your academic advisor, and other appropriate people
  • Complete the CPT forms and enroll in the required courses.

After the CPT packet is complete, make an appointment with the OIP and bring the following:

  • CPT Packet
  • Curricular Practical Training Academic Advisor Form completed by your academic adviser
  • Course description for CPT course in which you will be enrolled
  • Internship Learning Contract
  • Memorandum of Understanding, completed and signed by you and your employer which includes the job offer and the following information:
    • If the job if full-time or part-time
    • Job title
    • Job description
    • Number of hours employed per week
    • Physical street address with zip code where you will be working. The actual worksite is needed, not a post office box.
    • Start and End date of employment

For Graduate Students:

  • Bring your expected degree completion plan, listing the course as a required part of your program
  • Proof of enrollment in the required course
  • Unofficial transcript from WebAdvisor
  • Valid, unexpired passport
  • I-20 & I-94

Allow 5 working days for OIP to process your CPT paperwork, then pick up at OIP. You cannot begin employment until approved and until the employee’s starting date.