Fall Festival of Winds 2021 Director Information
Fall Festival of Winds
Festival Band conducted by Dr. Larry Blocher
THE 2021 FALL FESTIVAL OF WINDS
The Doane University Fall Festival of Winds is a one-day honor band event featuring two ensembles. The Honor Band is an auditioned ensemble that requires you to upload an audio audition. There will be no video auditions this year. The Festival Band will be selected by nomination.
DIRECTOR TIMELINE FOR THE FALL FESTIVAL
By Friday, September 3 - Fill out the Band Director Interest Form, Distribute Student Letter and FFW Schedule 2021.
Starting Tuesday, September 7 - A confirmation will be emailed to you. Students may start to apply.
From September 15 through October 4 - Students may upload their Fall Festival of Winds Honor Band auditions at https://audition.zone/doaneffw.
By Monday, September 27 - Student application forms must be submitted.
The Week of September 27 - A list of students who have applied will be sent to you.
1. Encourage interested students to apply
2. Encourage talented students to audition
3. Direct students to the FFW student pages
4. Complete the Band Director Ranking and Rating Form for all Fall Festival participants
5. Assist students in the process
REGARDING THE FALL FESTIVAL HONOR BAND
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE RANKING AND RATING OF STUDENTS
Please give careful attention to the completion of the Ranking and Rating Form. The placement of students within the band will be based on the information given in this form. Each item will be given a point value. Please consider the following:
- This is not a competition, but rather an opportunity to give talented high school students an excellent band experience.
- You must rank every student - both auditioned and nominated.
- You must rate students who are auditioning. (Tone, Technique, etc.)
- Students must be enrolled in grades 9-12.
- I will try to represent as many schools as we can.
- I must give some consideration to balance of the band.
- It is in the best interest of the band that out of every three students nominated, at least one is a clarinet, horn, baritone, or tuba. Encourage clarinets, horns, and euphonium players to participate, or we will have a band of flutes and saxohpones.
- I will try to include everyone's top ranked player.
- It is in the best interest of the band if the principle players in a section are upperclassmen. Therefore, if a sophomore is your number-one ranked player, they may not be the principle player in a section.
- If something is unclear, I may call you for clarifcation.
THE FFW STUDENT EVALUATION RUBRIC
AUDITIONS FOR HONOR BAND
Students who wish to play in the Fall Festival Honor Band should submit a recorded audio audition. Instructions for submitting auditions are available both in the email directions and on the website.
Students Who Have Prepared An All-State Audition
Students who are auditioning for the NMEA All-State may upload their All-State audition recording for the Fall Festival of Winds, or they may make a new one.
Students Who Are Auditioning For The Honor Band But Not All-State
Students who are not auditioning for All-State will need to record an audition for the Fall Festival of Winds. These may be uploaded at https://audition.zone/doaneffw.
In order to create a balanced Honor Band, I reserve the right to fill out sections with students who have been nominated but did not audition. I have also had to find students to play when I did not have enough players (horns for example). Please be sure to include your students who audition for the Honor Band on your Ranking and Rating form. Include them in rankings and give an evaluation (last year we had two auditions out of one hundred that we mistakenly cut because of technical issues with their recordings).
COMMENTS AND CLARIFICATIONS
AFTER READING THE ABOVE INFORMATION CAREFULLY, PLEASE FILL OUT THE DIRECTOR FORM FOR RANKING AND RATING STUDENTS.
For questions regarding the application process or audition guidelines, please contact Jay Gilbert at firstname.lastname@example.org or 402-826-8671.