Fall 2020 COVID-19 Online Student Learning Guide
We understand that spending the rest of the semester as an online student is not how many of you expected the school year to end. You may feel unprepared, worried and maybe even alone. However, across all departments, Doane’s administration is collaborating to provide you with the resources you need to succeed during this transitional stage.
How-To Get Connected
- Blackboard Help for Students
- Using Doane React for a Password reset
- Google G Suite Training Resources
- Intro to Zoom
- Zoom Tutorials
- Live Zoom Training
- Non-Residential ASC Services
Success - Centric
- This video walks you through how to create S.M.A.R.T goals. (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Timely).
- This website provides step-by-step instructions on how to set goals for all areas of your life. (Note: You may only view 3 free articles on this website)
Note Taking Strategies
- This video covers the Cornell Note Taking System created in the 1940/50’s by Walter Pauk.
- This powerpoint presentation from our own Academic Success Center walks you through practical study strategies.
- This article from International Public Speaker Brian Tracy explains overcoming Procrastination and Time Management through the allegory of ‘Eating the Frog”.
Quick Tips for Online Studying
- This article contains helpful input from online students all over the globe on how to succeed in online classes.
- Northeastern University shares 8 strategies for getting the most out of an online class.
- The University of Illinois Online shares 7 tips for success when taking online courses.
- This 6-minute video from the University of West Georgia Online covers Studying Skills and Effective Note Taking for Online Students.
- A Comprehensive Study Skills and Resources Webpage
- This video from the University of Central Missouri covers the Wise Choice Process, helping students prioritize studying strategies
- This powerpoint presentation from our own Academic Success Center shows students how to create and execute a study plan.
Academic - Centric
- Non-residential Campus Testing Services
- These powerpoint slides from our own Academic Success Center shares a few universal truths about test taking.
- Dr. Math is a website for all kinds of Math Questions
- MathPower.com offers all kinds of web assistance
- Math.com is great for Algebra, Geometry, and Pre-Calculus