Doane's Mentoring and Leadership Initiative
Even if you’re the new kid, you can be a leader here from Day 1. (But maybe you should unpack first.)
Directions is designed for first-year students who want to get started early creating a postive impact on their college community (and beyond!). Each year, about 32 incoming students are selected to participate and will receive an *annual Hansen Fellows Award of $1,500. *Students must meet renewal criteria.
Membership comes with:
- Mentors who teach ways to get involved. They are good at answering life-at-college-questions, too.
- A two-story suite in Hansen Leadership Hall, an upperclass residence hall.
- Individual guidance to jumpstart your leadership career.
- Attend a weekly leadership class which will help you increase and deepen your leadership abilities by exploring leadership theories, obstacles and techniques.
It also comes with some expectations:
- Attendance of Hansen Leadership events, like lectures, workshops or luncheons.
- Participation in a group service project. Service is the core of leadership, and this provides an opportunity to give back and put leadership skills to use.
To be considered, students should:
- Apply and be admitted to Doane University by January 31, 2018
- Have a minimum 3.5 GPA
- Apply for Directions Program by January 31, 2018
- Complete a resume
- Complete essay questions on the application
- Have a recommendation letter sent
- Create a short introduction video
- Complete on-campus interview by February 23, 2018 (also accept Skype, FaceTime, or over the phone)