Verification Tools & Guides
Below you can find general guides on the tools available to you to complete your FAFSA Verification Process.
- Using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool on the FAFSA
- Obtaining a Tax Return Transcript
- Nontax Filer Information
- 2019-20 FAFSA Verification Worksheet - Independent Student
2019-20 FAFSA Verification Worksheet - Dependent Student
If you need assistance using the FAFSA IRS Data Retrieval Tool. call the FAFSA hotline at 800-433-3243.
View the U.S. Department of Education's procedures or follow the instructions below:
- On the fafsa.gov web page, click on the Log In button in the Returning User? section.
- After logging onto the appropriate year FAFSA, select the Make FAFSA Corrections link located in the midsection of the screen.
- Once you are in the FAFSA corrections area, select the Financial Information tab at the top of the screen.
- Answer the questions presented. They will be prefilled with answers, change them if necessary.
- If you are eligible to use the FAFSA IRS Data Retrieval Tool, you will be presented with a Link to the IRS button. If you are not eligible to use the data retrieval tool, follow the instructions below on how to obtain a Tax Return Transcript.
- Once you complete the IRS information, it will bring you back to your FAFSA.
- Scroll to the bottom of the FAFSA screen, click on next, and follow the directions.
- Make sure you submit the corrections and sign your FAFSA using your FSA ID.
- You will know that your federal tax return information has been successfully transferred if Transferred from the IRS displays in place of the IRS information in your FAFSA form.
- After you have completed the FAFSA IRS data retrieval, Doane will receive a new FAFSA record in approximately one week.
- There are several ways to obtain the Tax Return Transcript:
- The IRS website:
- Click on the Get Transcript ONLINE button to immediately view, print, or download your tax return transcript.
- Click on the Get Transcript by MAIL button to request that the IRS mail your tax return transcript to you. It will take five to ten days for you to receive the tax return transcript(s) from the IRS.
- The IRS automated phone transcript service at 1-800-908-9946.
- The IRS website:
- If you have problems obtaining your tax return transcript from the IRS website, view their Get Transcript Frequently Asked Questions web page for additional instructions or call the IRS at 800-829-1040.
- After you receive the tax return transcript(s), write the student's name and ID number in the top right corner and send via postal mail or fax to the Office of Student Financial Aid as soon as possible.
Independent students and parents of dependent students who did not file and are not required to file an income tax return for must still provide income verification by submitting a Verification of Nonfiling Letter from the IRS.
Obtaining a Verification of Non-Filing Letter
Dependent Students: If your parent(s) did not and will not file a federal tax return, a Verification of Non-filing Letter must be obtained from the IRS for each non-filer. (If both parents did not and will not file a federal tax return, two Verification of Non-filing Letters must be obtained).
Independent Students: if you did not and will not file a federal tax return, a Verification of Non-filing Letter must be obtained from the IRS for you and your spouse (if applicable).
The Verification of Non-filing Letter can be obtained from the IRS website using the IRS Get Transcript service. If you cannot obtain one online, you can request one by completing the IRS Form 4506-T and faxing/mailing it to the IRS.
If you have trouble obtaining your Verification of Non-filing Letter, contact the Financial Aid Office.