Requirements for Certification:
- Successful completion of student teaching with a recommendation from the co-operating teachers and college supervisor.
- Completion of the major(s) you are seeking certification in.
- A cumulative GPA of 3.00 in all Education courses.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.8 in all courses in your Major.
- Completion of 12 graduate credits in the summer following graduation. Summer Graduate Coursework
The education faculty recommends to the Certification Officer students who they believe should be certified. Doane University’s Certification Officer is the Chairperson of the Education Division. The Certifying Officer then recommends those students to the Teacher Education Committee for their approval.
Any student who is denied certification has the right to appeal the decision to the Teacher Education Committee.
The procedure to appeal is:
- Schedule a Personal Interview with the Chair of the Education Division.
- Set a date for the entire Teacher Education Committee to meet for reconsideration.
- Have a personal appearance before the Committee, with another faculty member as consul or with one of the cooperating teachers (if they desire), to present additional data and answering questions prior to the Committee vote.
- The Committee will adjourn to Executive Session to make the final decision.