Security Basics and Best Practices
Security basics and best practices includes guidelines to help protect your computers and personal information.
Use the following guidelines if your computer has been compromised due to unauthorized access, malicious code, or other types of vulnerabilities in which the integrity of the machine is questionable.
- Change your passwords
- Update all software (OS and other applications)
- Manually run a virus scan using anti-virus software
- Lock or turn off your computer when it's not in use
Use the following link to change your Doane password: http://www.doane.edu/password
Please contact Tiger Tech if you need assistance in removing computer viruses and malware.
Self-Service Portal: helpdesk.doane.edu
Use the following guidelines for creating a strong password.
- Use a combination of numbers and letters
- Use symbols and special characters
- Use a minimum of 6 characters
- Do not use single or multiple combinations of any word that can be found in any dictionary, including foreign language dictionaries
- Do not use numerical substitutions for characters (e.g. h3lp, adm1n, etc.)
- Do not use passwords that someone could easily guess that refer to something about you (e.g. your name, favorite sports teams, telephone number, birthdate, etc.)
To help remember your password, try using the first letter of each word in a phrase, mixed with the password composition hints above.
Important: Never share your passwords with anyone, including system administrators.