Doane College and the cities they serve work hand in hand with students, alumni and friends. Each campus is located in an area full of culture, history, art, and music. Crete and Doane College will come together in celebration for the community driven Winterlude Festival on November 30 – December 2, 2012. You are invited to join this Doane College partnership with Crete for a weekend full of family, food and fun! Listed below are event times and locations:
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 30
- 5:30 p.m. Presentation by local historian, Janet Jeffries at the Kava Korner. Learn about holiday traditions of years past, including historical icons like Mrs. Benjamin J. Miller, who founded the nation’s first Living Christmas Tree in Crete, NE.
- 7 p.m. Community tree lighting and rededication of Crete’s first Living Christmas Tree. The Crete Area Health Care Foundation will host its annual Tree of Lights ceremony in the park, featuring a live nativity and performance of the Crete community choir.
- 5-9 p.m. Reach out to loved ones for the holiday season by making free international and domestic calls. This event is sponsored by Time Warner Cable and will be taking place at City Hall.
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 1
- 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. Free international and domestic calls sponsored by Time Warner Cable at City Hall.
- 8-11 a.m. Crete FBLA’s annual Breakfast with Santa at the Crete Elementary School cafeteria. Share your list with Santa and enjoy a nutritious breakfast provided by Crete Chamber of Commerce and Public Health Solutions. Children are invited to shop for their parents in the Beta Sigma Phi Children’s Gift shop. While the kids are away, parents can stock up on fresh-baked goods and enter to win prizes at the Crete Area Medical Center Ladies Auxiliary annual holiday bake sale.
- 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. Holiday shopping at the Crete Chamber of Commerce second annual Holiday Arts & Crafts Show at Fuhrer Field House on the Doane College Campus.
- 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. Winter activities in the park - includes an ice sculpting demonstration, free horse and carriage rides, an international tree display, music and more.
- 11 a.m. & 1 p.m. Holiday Story Hour at the Crete Public Library with books, snacks and crafts for children ages 3 to 8.
- 2 p.m. The Isis Theatre will offer an afternoon showing of The Polar Express at 2 p.m. with a free will donation of food for the food bank, cash for Crete Cares or a new toy for Toys for Tots.
- 2 -5 p.m. Celebrate Crete Photography Contest showing at the ATA Martial Arts Academy. All local photographers are invited to enter the Celebrate Crete Photography Contest by entering online at www.crete-ne.gov or by contacting Bob Muckel at (402) 643-0255.
- 7-9 p.m. Wine and cheese reception at the ATA Martial Arts Academy (cost $10).
SUNDAY, DECEMER 2nd
- 11 a.m. & 1:30 p.m. Winter Wonderland Walk; Enjoy the fresh fall air and explore Crete’s newest trail system at Tuxedo Park. Bring your binoculars!
- 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. Community Soup Luncheon at Crete High School; Enjoy homemade soup and help support the Crete Backpack Program.
- 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. Crete Area Medical Center Ladies Auxiliary will be hosting the 2012 Holiday Tour of Homes. The tour will conclude at the Benne Museum. For ticket information, contact Cheryl Retherford at (402) 826-5451.
- 4 p.m. The Trinity Memorial Church will also be hosting its annual Festival of Lessons and Carols on Sunday at 14th & Juniper with a dessert reception to follow.
- 5 p.m. Winterlude closing ceremonies and dedication of a new permanent exhibit in honor of historical icon and founder of the First Living Christmas, Mrs. Benjamin J. Miller at the Benne Museum.
- Other activities during the festival include the Crete True Value coloring contest, Crete News Holiday Lighting Contest, Crete Public Library’s downtown StoryWalk which begins at Crete Foodmart and many local dining and shopping extended hours and specials. There will be a commemorative festival ornament designed by local artist, Echo Easton, available through the Chamber of Commerce.
For more information about festival activities, please contact
Doane College Events Director Marilea Thiem at (402) 826-6775.