Doane College Student Congress (STUCO) requested the addition of a Green Fee in the 2011-2012 school year tuition and fees. This recommendation comes from student research and a campus survey supporting a $20 per year fee increase to be used for:
- Greener energy efficiency
- Carbon footprint reduction
- To improve Doane's sustainability
This Green Fund would be separate from Student Congress' continuing funds and would support projects such as:
- A proposed solar panel to offset vampire energy use
- A yearly green report card tracking Doane's sustainability success and areas of improvement
- Low-flow showerheads
With this effort, Student Congress hopes to form a Green Committee (see charter below) that could allocate money to green personal projects or student project requests.
Green Committee Charter
II. How is it funded?
$10 per student per semester is applied toward the funds that will be used for this project. Funds are located in account number 12-00-511058-41004 and will be expenses to the 12-00-511058-xxxxx object code as appropriate. Funds are carried over from year to year.
III. Role of Committee
Committee will meet twice a year and as needed to determine specific sustainability efforts for each fiscal year and monitor efforts in place for yearly Sustainability Report Card. The Chair is responsible for scheduling the meetings and sending out the notifications to the Committee of meetings. The Secretary keeps the minutes of each meeting. The Vice Chair submits the yearly Sustainability Report Card.
IV. Committee Responsibilities
The committee will receive sustainability project ideas from the Doane Community and determine how the funding is spent. Committee will also be responsible for submitting a yearly Sustainability Report Card.
V. Committee Members
- Brian Flesner - Chair, Assistant Director of Facilities and Manager of Grounds
- Faculty - Russ Souchek, Rod Diercks and Molly Rozum
- Student at Large (To Be Appointed for the 2015-2016 School Year)
- 2 Student Congress Senators (To Be Appointed for the 2015-2016 School Year)
VI. Decision Making Process
All submitted projects will be prioritized by the committee in the following manner:
1. Benefit of the project must exceed the costs
2. Measurability of project
3. Availability of funds
VII. Measurement for Success
All projects will be monitored for measurable savings and a Sustainability Report Card will be provided annually.