Information from Financial Aid and Student Accounts
Breakdown of Costs:
Room – if your room is included in your overseas cost, you are billed for a Doane basic double occupancy room. (currently $1700/semester for 2013-14)
Board – if your meals are included in your overseas cost, you are billed for the 21-regular meal plan (currently $2075/semester for 2013-14)
Tuition – if your study abroad tuition is less than Doane’s tuition, you are charged Doane’s tuition cost (currently $12,780 for 2013-14). If your study abroad tuition is more than Doane’s tuition cost, you will be billed Doane’s tuition + the difference.
Fees – you will be charged for your regular Doane fees (currently $310/semester for 2013-14) in addition to any program fees for your study abroad program.
Are you in the Honors Program or a Foreign Language Major?
Great – you can use your Doane scholarships to study abroad!
Going for a whole semester?
- Your Doane scholarships will be applied to your study abroad charges.
- This counts as one semester towards your maximum of 8 semesters of Doane scholarship eligibility.
- You can also use your federal aid during your semester abroad.
Going during the summer?
- You will receive 25% of your Doane scholarships (up to $2000 max.) towards your study abroad charges if you are enrolled for at least 4 credit hours.
- This does not count towards your maximum of 8 semesters of Doane scholarships eligibility.
- You may also be eligible for some federal aid if you are enrolled for at least 6 credit hours. Contact the Financial Aid to see if you qualify.
- You will be billed based on the tuition, room and board charges of your individual program.
Not in Honors or Foreign language?
You don’t have access to your Doane scholarships, but you can use federal aid like your loans and Pell grant if you travel during the fall or spring semester. Any other charges will be paid out-of-pocket.
If you are traveling during the summer, you may be eligible for federal aid if you enroll for at least 6 credit hours, otherwise plan on paying on your own. Please contact the Financial Aid Office to determine if you qualify. You will be billed based on the tuition, room and board charges of your individual program.
Some other important information:
- Doane Travel Scholarship – $1000 scholarship available to juniors and seniors if you enrolled at Doane as a freshman. If you enrolled as a transfer student, the amount of your scholarship is pro-rated based on the numbers of semesters you have attended Doane.
- Overloads – you are responsible for any charges outside the scope of regular tuition.
- You are not eligible for work study or campus employment during the semester you are abroad.
- Under no circumstances will you receive a refund from Doane to study abroad.
- Employee Tuition Benefits and Tuition Exchange scholarships are not available for study abroad.
- Your study abroad charges must be paid before you are allowed to return to Doane.