Living Off Campus
If you've never lived on your own, you may be surprised at some of the things you're expected to pay for.
Once you sign a lease, you're bound to honor it. Knowing what pitfalls to look for as a first-time renter can help you avoid making the mistake of spending a lot of money in vain. Careful evaluation of your housing needs and options is a vital part of the housing search process.
**NEW RESIDENCY POLICY**
The residency policy at Doane College has changed. The new policy is detailed in the document below as well as at the bottom of this page. Questions about the policy can be addressed through our main office at (402) - 826 - 6721.
CURRENT OFF-CAMPUS STUDENTS ONLY
If you currently live off-campus for the 2015-2016 academic year, but will not meet an approved exemption for the 2016-2017 year you must compete the following form and return the document to the Residence Life Office in Perry Campus Center by 5pm on March 18th. If we do not receive a completed form prior to that time we will assume you wish to return to campus housing and you will be assigned and billed for housing. Completing this form does not constitute automatic approval to live off campus.
**Note: This is only for the student currently off-campus for the 2015-2016 school year who do not meet an exemption under the new policy. Students wishing to move off-campus under the new policy will have an application form that will be released at a later date.
Things to consider when deciding which option is right for you:
- Show me the money - what can you afford and still have a life?
- Location, location, location - is it within walking distance? will your costs for gas go up?
- House or apartment? - what are you responsible to maintain (scoop snow, mow grass etc.) if you rent a house vs. an apt.
- Social life? -will you still be able to afford to meet up with friends for the fun things?
- Time commitment - will you need to work extra hours to make enough money, or just plan a little better with the money you have?
- Roommate? - who would be a good fit to be a roomie?
We've put together some resources to help you in your search.
Interested in becoming a member of the Association of Commuter Students?
Contact the Residence Life Office at email@example.com or 402.826.6721.