A social science major allows you to teach any course within social studies subjects in any 7-12 school in Nebraska, as well as in most other states. The major, also a teaching endorsement, is comprised of courses including sociology, economics, political science, history, geography and psychology.
Students not seeking to be certified to teach in secondary schools with a social science major generally continue by enrolling in a graduate school program in their area of interest.
Field Experience/Student Teaching
At Doane, pre-service teachers complete approximately 300 hours of practicum experience with K-12 students prior to student teaching.
- Students begin working in classroom settings during their first year
- Student assisting continues during the sophomore and junior years
- Full-time student teaching occurs during the senior year (ranging from 14 weeks for one endorsement to a maximum of 24 weeks for two endorsements)
Doane was the FIRST college/university in the nation to offer a warranty of its teacher education graduates to hiring school districts. The college will provide free training for its new teachers as necessary at no cost to the school district or Doane graduate.
Doane College GUARANTEES its teacher education students employment following graduation in the education field.
Master of Education Degree
Following graduation in the teacher education program, all students extend their training in a summer semester of graduate work
- 12 credit hours of graduate work
- Graduate classes give Doane students an advantage over other college graduates in credits toward a master's degree
Site-based, the M.Ed. is offered at numerous locations in Nebraska, allowing our students to finish their graduate degree with ease.
Visit the Education Department Website for additional information.