Smith Hall (formerly Men’s Hall) was renamed in 1977 to honor Charles C. Smith, class of 1887, a former trustee and benefactor of the college. In 1929, Smith contributed a substantial, then-anonymous gift to assure construction of Men’s Hall. The renaming of the building provided public recognition of his earlier contribution. The building became a co-ed residence with the completion of a 2011 renovation project. The project added a fourth floor to the landmark building. Other improvements included a lounge area, gaming room, kitchen, business center and an outdoor courtyard.