Due to upcoming inclement weather, the afternoon commencement
ceremony at 2:30 will be moved to the Haddix Center.
Sheldon Hall, a co-ed residence hall located east of Frees Hall, opened in 1970 as a women’s residence hall. The three-story building remained nameless until 1978, when it was dedicated as Sheldon Hall after Margaret Thompson Sheldon, class of 1886, Doane’s first dean of women and professor of English. She served the college for 21 years. A renovation project in 2010 enhanced the hall’s living spaces and added an exterior gathering area, lounges, meeting space and other amenities.