The physical sciences include physics, chemistry, meteorology, astronomy and geology. A physical science major allows you to gain a broad understanding of these areas and prepare for a career in teaching or in the health industry.
Three tracks are available for this major:
- The general track helps build a solid foundation, but allows flexibility to choose courses based on your desired career path.
- The health science track is designed for you to pursue additional education in a health profession, such as medicine.
- The education track gives you certification to teach any of the physical sciences in high school.
The Doane College Education program is known nationwide for its innovative, performance-based approach to teacher education based on a quality model of theory and developmental experiences.
Field Experience/Student Teaching
At Doane, pre-service teachers complete approximately 300 hours of practicum experience with K-12 students prior to student teaching.
- Students begin working in classroom settings during their first year
- Student assisting continues during the sophomore and junior years
- Full-time student teaching occurs during the senior year (ranging from 14 weeks for one endorsement to a maximum of 24 weeks for two endorsements)
Doane was the FIRST college/university in the nation to offer a warranty of its teacher education graduates to hiring school districts. Doane will provide free training for its new teachers as necessary at no cost to the school district or graduate.
Doane College GUARANTEES its teacher education students employment following graduation in the education field.
Master of Education Degree
Following graduation in the teacher education program, all students extend their training in a summer semester of graduate work
- 12 credit hours of graduate work
- Graduate classes give Doane students an advantage over other college graduates in credits toward a master's degree
- Site-based, the M.Ed. is offered at numerous locations in Nebraska, allowing our students to finish their graduate degree with ease.
For many years, Doane has provided mentoring for its first-year teachers. An experienced teacher in the school works closely with new Doane teachers to help with this transition. Doane faculty also work with the new teachers, providing support and expertise.
Visit the Education Department Website for additional information.