Perry Memorial Campus Center
Perry Campus Center is named for Doane’s first president, David Brainerd Perry. The Rev. Perry came to Nebraska as a missionary/circuit rider and stayed to establish a college on the treeless prairie. The Perry building opened in January of 1963 and included recreation areas, a lounge, and Tiger Inn snack bar. In 1970, a two-story addition was built onto the southern façade of the building.
The building was again enlarged in 1995 and further renovated in 2007-08. Common Grounds Coffeehouse opened in 2006. It provides assorted beverages and pastries and a relaxing, social atmosphere. In 2011, one wing of Perry Campus Center was rededicated as the Don Nyrop Great Hall. The designation honors the late Don Nyrop, a Nebraska native who graduated from Doane in 1934 with a history degree, earned a law degree from George Washington University and then went on to a distinguished career in aviation. His career included heading the Civil Aeronautics Administration and running Northwest Airlines. He was a 14-year member of Doane’s Board of Trustees and the recipient of numerous Doane awards for his longtime, generous support and leadership on behalf of the college.
Tiger Inn was the name given to the snack shop located at 13th Street and Forest Avenue in the 1940s and 1950s. The name stuck when Tiger Inn moved to campus in the 1950s. Located for a time in Fiske Lodge, it was then moved to Perry Campus Center in 1964. Tiger Inn was given a new look in 1995, offering an alternative area for meals. The Tiger Inn snack bar was renovated in 2007.