Parent PLUS Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN)
Parents who are first-time borrowers of the Federal Direct PLUS Loan must complete an electronic Master Promissory Note (MPN) to receive the funds. The MPN can be completed on-line at www.studentloans.gov. In most cases, the parent will be required to complete the MPN only once during their student's years in college. If the parent borrower is ineligible because of an adverse credit history, the parent may obtain an endorser for the loan.
- Only one parent can borrow each loan.
- In cases of divorce or cases where multiple parents wish to borrow, each parent must complete a separate Request for Parent PLUS Loan form and each must complete a separate Master Promissory Note.
Denied PLUS Loans
If a parent is denied the parent PLUS loan after the credit check is performed by the Department of Education, they will be sent a notice explaining the reason for the credit denial and given information for contacting the credit bureau. After the parent has reviewed their credit report, there are several options:
- Parents can contact Direct Loan Applicant Services at 800-557-7394 and explain their financial situation. In some cases, the Direct Loan Servicer is able to do a credit over-ride due to the circumstances the parent explains. This allows the original PLUS loan to be processed and disbursed.
- Parents can obtain an endorser on the loan. This allows the original PLUS loan to be processed and disbursed.
- Students can request to receive an additional amount of Unsubsidized Stafford Loan ($4,000 for freshmen and sophomores and $5,000 for juniors and above). The student will need to contact the Financial Aid Office to authorize the additional loan in their name.