Doane To Dedicate Chab Weyers Education and Hixson Lied Art Building
Doane College will open its newest academic building and give the public its first glimpse of the $11 million Chab Weyers Education and Hixson Lied Art Building during its dedication Friday, Oct. 5, 2007.
The ceremony, held in conjunction with Homecoming weekend on the Crete campus, begins at 1:30 p.m. An open house from 2-4 p.m. follows the ceremony.
The $11 million, 57,714 square-foot building between Perry Campus Center and Miller Pond opened for classes in August. It houses new offices and classrooms for Doane's nationally recognized education and art programs as well as the Farley Korff Welcome Center, which includes Doane's Admission Office, an outdoor plaza and historic memorabilia. The building also serves as the base for Information Technology Services.
The building, designed by The Clark Enersen Partners, Lincoln, and constructed by Kingery Construction, Lincoln, combines the features of Doane's collegiate-style architecture with prairie influences found throughout the campus' historic buildings.
The three-story building includes:
-- Nineteen classrooms and studios
-- Nineteen faculty offices
-- A conference hall for 300 students or guests
-- Model classrooms specifically for elementary, middle, special and secondary education
-- Designated studios for drawing, painting, printmaking, sculpture, ceramics, pottery and graphic design.
The building's commons area features a "dango" by artist Jun Kaneko, an internationally known artist who designs vertical ceramic clay pieces painted with design glaze.
The new building helps the college keep its 136-year-old pledge to offer preeminent liberal arts and sciences education. Teacher education is the largest program at Doane, enrolling one out of five undergraduate students on the Crete campus. The program is known nationally for its innovative performance-based approach to teacher education.
Doane's art department produces artists, theatre designers, art therapists, advertising executives, graphic artists, illustrators and photographers.
Nearly every student, regardless of major, will complete classes in the new building.
The building bears the name of two generous donors among the numerous donations which made the building possible. A recent gift by Lois (Chab) and Larry Weyers completed fundraising efforts toward the new facility. The Weyers live in DePere, Wis., and are 1967 graduates of Doane. A member of the Doane Board of Trustees, Lois Weyers is retired from a long career as a teaching and reading specialist. Larry Weyers is CEO, chairman and president of Integrys Energy Group - formerly WPS Resources Corp. -- a Fortune 500 holding company with subsidiaries in the energy industry.
In 2004, Doane received a $2 million naming gift from the Lied Foundation Trust toward the new building, granted by its trustee Miss Christina Hixson of Las Vegas. The Trust was established in 1972 by the late Ernst F. Lied in honor of his parents, Ernst M. and Ida K. Lied.
A main entrance to the new building features the reclaimed signature portico from the former Whitin Building, linking Doane's past and present.
Visitors to the dedication ceremony will see a new entrance to campus that accompanied the construction project. Doane's 1894 Whitin Art Building and 1960 Goodall Arts and Science Building were demolished to make way for the new building and green space. Fiske Lodge, erected in 1910 as the campus infirmary, was relocated to another area of campus.