The Communicaitons building is scheduled to reopen tomorrow (Thursday) April 17, 2014 at 7 a.m. For current or past updates please go to: www.doane.edu/communications-update.
The Doane Owl was named Newspaper of the Year at the 2010 Golden Leaf Awards in Chadron April 24.
The Golden Leaf Awards, sponsored by the Nebraska Collegiate Media Association (NCMA), honor the best student media work in Nebraska colleges with an enrollment of less than 5,000 students. Other schools belonging to the NCMA and competing in the Golden Leaf Awards include Chadron State College, Northeast Community College, Wayne State College, Hastings College, Western Nebraska Community College and Nebraska Wesleyan University.
The Doane Owl won more print awards than any other college in attendance, with a total of 25 awards, seven of them being first-place honors, including Newspaper of the Year.
The Owl is not the only area of Doane media that was recognized, however. In total, Doane media won 52 awards, 15 of them first-place honors.
DCTV won 12 awards (including five first-place). DCTV placed second in the TV Station-of-the-Year competition.
The KDNE radio station came away with eight awards, including a first-place honor in the Newscast area. The KDNE finished third in the Radio-Station-of-the-Year category.
The Doaneline received seven awards, including first-place honors in the Multimedia and News Coverage categories. The Doaneline finished second in the competition for Web site of the year.
Individual students were also honored with specific awards, and 22 Doane students received honors.
COMPLETE LIST OF DOANE STUDENT MEDIA WINNERS, GOLDEN LEAF AWARDS 2010
• Hard News/Spot News Story: Meghan Kurtz (senior, Omaha) and Cathy Krumme (junior, Fairbury) (first place)
• Investigative/In-depth Story: J-Crew (Owl Staff) (first)
• Feature Story: Kurtz (Omaha) (first) and Amanda Bouc (junior, Valparaiso) (third)
• Opinion: Owl Staff (first)
• Feature Photograph: Todd Depue (senior, Columbus) (first) and Nichole Crowell (first-year, Ravenna) (second)
• News Photograph: Tatton Jacob (senior, Meriden, Kansas) (honorable mention)
• Layout and Design (overall newspaper): Owl Staff (third)
• Page One Layout and Design: Jacob (Meriden, Kansas) (second and Honorable Mention) and Fahrer (Bellevue) (third)
• Single Inside Page Design: Bouc (Valparaiso) (HM) and Kurtz (Omaha) (HM)
• Headlines: Bouc (Valparaiso) (second), Adrianna Choquette (senior, Upland) (third) and Jacob (Meriden, Kansas) (HM)
• Cartoon: Bob Kenny (senior, Waterloo) (first)
• Special Design Graphs or Graphics: Michael Ulmer (junior, Texarkana, Texas) (second), Jacob (Meriden, Kansas) (third) and Adam Schmidt (junior, Lincoln) (HM)
• Entertainment - Miscellaneous: Ziad Jaber (2009 graduate), Mike Cochnar (senior, Dorchester) and Joey Klinkacek (sophomore, Omaha) (first); Cochnar (Dorchester) and Klinkacek (Omaha) (second)
• Entertainment Music Video: Jaber and Cochnar (Dorchester) (first)
• Feature News Reporting: Fahrer (Bellevue) and Bouc (Valparaiso) (second and HM)
• Long Form Video: J-Crew (second)
• Newscast: DCTV (first)
• Public Affairs: Klinkacek (Omaha), Cochnar (Dorchester) and Dustin Dales (junior, Omaha) (first); Jaber, Cochnar (Dorchester) and Brent Friedeman (second)
• Short Film: Cochnar (Dorchester) (HM)
• Videography: Kenny (Waterloo) (first) and Trevor Bohlender (sophomore, Lincoln) (third)
• Design: The Doaneline (second)
• Usability: The Doaneline (third)
• Arts & Entertainment: The Doaneline (second)
• News Coverage: The Doaneline (first, TIE)
• Sports Coverage: The Doaneline (second)
• Opinion Coverage: The Doaneline (third)
• Newscast: Klinkacek (Omaha) (first and HM) and Shalene Weyers (sophomore, Denton) (third)
• Promotional Announcement: Cochnar (Dorchester) and Jaber (third)
• Public Affairs Program: Taylor Foy (2009 graduate) (HM)
• Public Service Announcement: Fahrer (Bellevue) (third) and Andrew Ohlson (junior, La Salle, Colorado) (HM)
• Transitional Element: Klinkacek (Omaha) (second)