Natural science is an interdisciplinary bachelor of science degree major for students seeking a general education in science and the natural science field endorsement.
This major meets the requirements for certification to teach biology, chemistry, physics, and earth science in grades 7-12.
The Doane College education program is known nationwide for its innovative, performance-based approach to teacher education based on a quality model of theory and developmental experiences. This major is a part of the Doane College four-year guarantee. If you cannot finish this program in four years, Doane will assume costs during the next two consecutive semesters of the courses needed to complete the program.
Field Experience/Student Teaching
At Doane, pre-service teachers complete approximately 300 hours of practicum experience with K-12 students prior to student teaching.
- Students begin working in classroom settings during their first year
- Student assisting continues during the sophomore and junior years
- Full-time student teaching occurs during the senior year (ranging from 14 weeks for one endorsement to a maximum of 24 weeks for two endorsements)
The Teacher Education Division maintains several partnerships with surrounding school districts, including Crete Public Schools and Lincoln Public Schools. Special programs include:
- Professional Development School Project
- Junior Year Cadre Program
Doane was the FIRST college/university in the nation to offer a warranty of its teacher education graduates to hiring school districts. The college will provide free training for its new teachers as necessary at no cost to the school district or Doane graduate.
Doane College GUARANTEES its teacher education students employment following graduation in the education field.
Focus on Multiculturalism
Doane College places a strong emphasis on the understanding and inclusion of diversity in its curriculum and co-curricular activities. The Teacher Education program is at the forefront of multicultural education for its students. Initiatives include:
- Multicultural internship class required for all education majors
- Multicultural awareness through education courses
- An annual statewide multicultural conference for students and teachers, organized by the junior class
Master of Education Degree
Following graduation in the teacher education program, all students extend their training in a summer semester of graduate work
- 12 credit hours of graduate work
- Graduate classes give Doane students an advantage over other college graduates in credits toward a master's degree
- Site-based, the MED is offered at numerous locations in Nebraska, allowing our students to finish their graduate degree with ease.
For many years, Doane has provided mentoring for its first-year teachers. An experienced teacher in the school works closely with new Doane teachers to help with this transition. Doane faculty also work with new teachers, providing support and expertise.
Accreditation & Memberships
Choosing an accredited program means you can be assured the institution meets the standards of quality set by an accrediting agency.
Education faculty are members of multiple associations, a testament to their dedication to their students and the profession.
Visit the Education Department Website for additional information.