Visit the College of Education Undergraduate website.
As a middle school teacher you would educate students, typically from 6th - 8th grades. However, in some school districts, you may teach students as early as 4th grade or as late as 9th grade.
Middle School Teachers:
- help students build on fundamentals they learned in elementary school and prepare them for more difficult lessons during high school
- depending on the school district either 1) teach students on a specific subject throughout the day (see Doane requirements for specialization areas) or 2) teach all the subjects for one class of students the entire day
- may decide to coach a school sports team or be involved in student clubs or groups
- typically work with a team of teachers that teach the same group of students
- may work closely with special education teachers to adapt lessons to meet the needs of students with learning disabilities and emotional or behavioral disorders who are taught in traditional classes
Our program also provides:
Field Experience/Student Teaching
At Doane, pre-service teachers complete approximately 300 hours of practicum experience with K-12 students prior to student teaching.
- Students begin working in classroom settings during their first year
- Student assisting continues during the sophomore and junior years
- Full-time student teaching occurs during the senior year (ranging from 14 weeks for one endorsement to a maximum of 24 weeks for two endorsements)
Doane was the FIRST college/university in the nation to offer a warranty of its teacher education graduates to hiring school districts.
The college will provide free training for its new teachers as necessary at no cost to the school district or Doane graduate.
Doane University GUARANTEES its teacher education students employment following graduation in the education field.
Master of Education Degree
Following graduation in the teacher education program, all students extend their training in a summer semester of graduate work
- 12 credit hours of graduate work
- Graduate classes give Doane students an advantage over other college graduates in credits toward a master's degree
- Site-based, the MED is offered at numerous locations in Nebraska, allowing our students to finish their graduate degree with ease.
For many years, Doane has provided mentoring for its first-year teachers. An experienced teacher in the school works closely with new
Doane teachers to help with this transition. Doane faculty also work with the new teachers, providing support and expertise.