All materials should be brought to the Circulation Desk to be checked out. A valid Doane College ID is required. A Courtesy Card may be requested at the Circulation Desk for community patrons.
Loan Periods for Print Materials (e.g., books):
- Students: 8 weeks
- Faculty & staff: semester
- Community borrowers: 2 weeks
Loan Periods for Media Materials (VHS tapes, DVDs, CDs):
- Faculty, Staff, Students, Community: 7 days
Loan Periods for Reserve and Open Reserve Materials:
- Students, Faculty, Staff -- 1 hour to 2 weeks, depending on professor's directive
- The periodicals collection remains in the library. Patrons may photocopy articles, but please follow U.S. copyright law.
Items on which no holds have been placed may be renewed. The renewal period depends on the type of material. Typically items with a short-term loan, such as open reserve, may be renewed for the same length of time. The renewal period for items that have a semester-long loan period will be negotiated at the time of the renewal request.
Renewals can be made by the patron in the library, by telephone, or by email.
Overdue materials do not incur fines, BUT materials that are not returned to the Library by the end of the semester are charged to the patron with additional processing fees upwards of $15.
Once billing has been forwarded to the Business Office items may not be returned for a refund or the billing removed from your account.
Place a hold to put your name on a waiting list (a hold queue) for an item that is currently checked out. You may place holds via telephone, email, or at the Circulation Desk (826-8287). The patron who currently has the item will receive notification that it has been recalled, and a new, shorter, recall due date will be assigned. When the item is returned, the patron who has placed the hold request is notified that the item will be held at the Circulation Desk.
Holds are not allowed on some library material, such as Course Reserve items.
Course Reserves are typically located behind the circulation desk in the library and have special use restrictions (see Loan Periods). Information for locating Reserve materials can be found using the library catalog :
- Hover the mouse over the Subject tab in the upper left corner of the page, and select Course Reserves from the drop-down menu.
- Select the Courses button and enter the course number, course name, or professor's name.
- Click on your course from the results list, then click on the title you wish to see. Find the call number under the section Find a copy in the library and give this call number to the person at the circulation desk. He or she will retrieve the item and check it out to you. That's it!
Note: All reserve items MUST be checked out to be used.
If you cannot find an item whose status in the catalog is Available, please notify the library staff. An in-house search for the item will be conducted and you will be notified of the results.
Library patrons are responsible for all materials checked out with their ID cards. Patrons may check with the library staff to determine the status of charges, overdues, ILL requests, etc.
Patrons are responsible for notifying the library immediately if their cards are lost or stolen, or if there is any change in address or status.