Lee Memorial Chapel & Whitcomb Conservatory
Whitcomb Lee Conservatory was built in 1906-07 in the prairie school style. The building, which originally housed a chapel and the music department, was named for Mr. and Mrs. George F. Lee of Otoe County, and Mr. and Mrs. Henry Whitcomb of Massachusetts. The Conservatory is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Renovated in 2003-04, the Conservatory now houses the theatre and speech/forensics departments. The auditorium is used for theatre productions and other events and activities.
Poets’ Grove is an area south of Whitcomb Lee Conservatory where students planted trees to honor poets. On Arbor Day 1884, Doane Trustee Samuel Andrews tossed pebbles across the lawn. Students then planted trees at the landing site of each stone.