The growing impact of globalization, and the increasing interactions among global cultures and societies, provide the backdrop for the International Studies program at Doane. This is a multidisciplinary major, offering students the opportunity to take internationally-focused classes from the humanities, social sciences, and economics/business, depending on their region or topic of interest. A major in international studies provides the basis for future graduate studies in the US as well as abroad, or for careers with an international focus in a variety of fields (including business, government, education, or the non-profit sector).
International Institutions Affiliated with Doane
- Council of International Education: Students study in a variety of programs around the world, including Australia, Belgium, China, France, and Spain.
- International Studies Program of Central College: Access to general undergraduate studies and intensive language study in Austria, China, England, France, Mexico, Spain, and Wales.
- Goethe Institut, Germany: Excellent opportunities for intensive German language study.
- Doane Africa Semester Abroad: Spend a semester studying in Africa under the direction of Doane Professor Dr. Betty Levitov.
- Lancaster University, Lancaster, England: A variety of flexible programs designed to incorporate opportunities to explore Europe even as you earn credits.
Fulbright Scholarships are national awards given each year to American college students, teachers, and scholars to study, teach or conduct research at an international site for a full year. Doane has a longstanding tradition of Fulbright Scholars - 52 to date since the program began. Doane scholars have studied in such countries as Spain, Germany, France, and South Korea. View a list of our Fulbright Scholars.
As well as the required study abroad semester for foreign language majors, students have the opportunity to travel on college-sponsored trips to a variety of U.S. sites or international countries each year through Doane's Interterm (in January or May).
Recent international trips have been taken to: France, Germany, England, Africa, New Zealand, Mexico, Israel, Australia and Sweden.
All Doane juniors and seniors are provided funds to help pay for college-sponsored trips, via Doane's unique Travel Scholarship. Many students use this scholarship to travel abroad for the first time.
Doane College has a consortium agreement with the Goethe-Institut. Doane students at the Goethe-Institut in Germany will sit for internationally recognized proficiency exams at the conclusion of their stay abroad, which enhances and supports their career plan.