Federal Direct PLUS (Parent) Loan
Parents who do not have adverse credit history may borrow for their dependent student. Applications are approved by the Federal Direct Loan Origination Center based on a credit check.
Additional eligibility requirements:
- The parent does not need to demonstrate financial need to qualify.
- The dependent student must be enrolled at least half-time and a current FAFSA must be on file.
- The parent and student must be U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens and meet other general eligibility requirements as determined by the U.S. Department of Education.
Begins after the loan is fully disbursed. Deferment options are available. Please contact the Financial Aid Office for further information.
Interest Rate: 7.9 percent fixed
Fees: A fee equal to 4 percent will be withheld from PLUS loan proceeds by the U.S. Department of Education.
Repayment: Begins after the loan is fully disbursed. Several repayment options are available through the loan servicer assigned to the loan.
NOTE: Deferment options (postponing repayment) are available while the student is enrolled at least half-time and during the six-month grace period.
- The parent should log into www.studentloans.gov with his/her FSA personal identification number. (If you do not have this, you may request a duplicate PIN at www.pin.ed.gov.)
- Complete Request Direct PLUS Loan (This is the credit check conducted by the U.S. Department of Education.)
- Complete the Direct PLUS Master Promissory Note (MPN), if you are borrowing for the first time on behalf of the Doane College student.
Each year the parent wishes to borrow the PLUS loan for his/her dependent student, a credit check is required to determine if the parent is credit worthy by the U.S. Department of Education.
Parents can borrow up to the full annual cost of attendance minus any financial aid the student receives. There is no overall aggregate limit for PLUS loans. Limits are based on the number of hours the student has successfully completed:
|Freshman (0 - 29 credits)||$3,500||$2,000||$5,500|
|Sophomore (30 - 59 credits)||$4,500||$2,000||$6,500|
|Junior-Senior (60+ credits)||$5,500||$2,000||$7,500|
Dependent Undergraduate Students: $31,000 (subsidized and unsubsidized combined of which $23,000 can be subsidized)
NOTE: Undergraduate Dependent Students whose parents are denied a Parent PLUS loan are able to borrow the same amount of loans as an Independent undergraduate student.
|Independent Students||Base Amount||Additional Unsub||Total|
|Freshman (0 - 29 credits)||$3,500||$6,000||$9,500|
|Sophomore (30 - 59 credits)||$4,500||$6,000||$10,500|
|Junior-Senior (60+ credits)||$5,500||$7,000||$12,500|
Independent Undergraduate Students: $57,500 (subsidized and unsubsidized combined of which $23,000 can be subsidized)
Graduate/Professional Students: $138,500 (subsidized and unsubsidized combined of which $65,500 can be subsidized). Graduate students are only eligible to receive Unsubsidized loans.
Accelerated Certification (Fast Track) students can borrow as a 5th year independent undergraduate student. Maximum eligibility is $12,500.
NOTE: Undergraduate loans for both dependent and independent students are subject to proration if graduating mid-year.