To apply for federal, state and some Doane University need based student aid programs, you will file the FAFSA — this is something you’ll need to do annually to be considered for aid each year you’re in school. Doane’s priority deadline is March 1. If you are an admitted student to Doane and submit your FAFSA by this deadline, you can expect to hear back about your award offering sometime in late March or early April. Before completing your FAFSA, you’ll need to create a Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID. Parents helping in the aid process should make sure to register for an FSA ID, too.  

What You’ll Need:

  • A computer with Internet access
  • Your Federal Student Aid ID - Click HERE to create FSA ID
  • Your Social Security number
  • Income information for the current year (or the prior year if you’re going to use an estimate) for both student and parents
  • A current, valid email address to be contacted with important information about your financial aid
  • You can also print a “FAFSA on the Web” worksheet at www.fafsa.gov to complete ahead of time and help prepare your answers before entering them online.

What You’ll Do:

  • Go to www.fafsa.gov and click “Start A New FAFSA,” then login using your name, Social Security number and birthday.
  • Select “Start New FAFSA” and then input the requested information.
  • Be sure to enter Federal School Code002544 to allow your information to be sent to Doane.

Below are some FAQs about the FAFSA:

  • What is the FAFSA?
    • To apply for federal student aid, such as federal grants, work-study, and loans, you need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Completing and submitting the FAFSA is free and easier than ever, and it gives you access to the largest source of financial aid to pay for college or career school.
    • In addition, many states and colleges use your FAFSA information to determine your eligibility for state and school aid, and some private financial aid providers may use your FAFSA information to determine whether you qualify for their aid.
  • Am I eligible to receive financial aid?
    • To be eligible to receive federal student aid, you must:
      • Be a citizen or eligible noncitizen of the United States.
      • Have a valid Social Security Number. (Students from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, and the Republic of Palau are exempt from this requirement.)
      • Have a high school diploma or a General Education Development (GED) certificate, or have completed homeschooling. If you don’t, you may still be eligible for federal student aid if you were enrolled in college or career school prior to July 1, 2012. Go to http://studentaid.ed.gov/eligibility/basic-criteria for additional information.
      • Be enrolled in an eligible program as a regular student seeking a degree or certificate.
      • Maintain satisfactory academic progress.
      • Not owe a refund on a federal student grant or be in default on a federal student loan.
      • Register (or already be registered) with the Selective Service System, if you are a male and not currently on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces. (Students from the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands and the Republic of Palau are exempt from registering; see www.sss.gov for more information.)
      • Not have a conviction for the possession or sale of illegal drugs for an offense that occurred while you were receiving federal student aid (such as grants, work-study, or loans). If you have such a conviction, you must complete the Student Aid Eligibility Worksheet to determine if you are eligible for aid or partially eligible for aid.
    • Many types of federal student aid, such as the Federal Pell Grant or subsidized loans where the government pays the interest while you are in college, also require you to have financial need. Additionally, once you have a bachelor’s degree or a first professional degree, you are generally not eligible for Pell or Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG).
    • Other requirements may apply. Contact the financial aid office at your college for more information.
  • How do I apply for aid?
    • To apply for federal student aid, you must complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
    • By completing and submitting a FAFSA, you will automatically be considered for federal student aid. In addition, your state and college may use your FAFSA information to determine your eligibility for nonfederal aid.
    • Completing the FAFSA is an easy process, and it’s completely free. We recommend that you submit your FAFSA online using FAFSA on the Web, as your application will process within 3-5 days; alternatively, you can submit a paper FAFSA, which processes within 7-10 days.
    • For help with filling out the FAFSA, you can go to http://studentaid.ed.gov/resources#free-application-for.
  • Why should I fill out the FAFSA
    • Completing and submitting a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the single most important thing you can do to get assistance paying for college.
    • The U.S. Department of Education uses the FAFSA to determine students’ eligibility for federal student aid. Every year, the federal government awards about $150 billion in the form of grants, work-study funds, and low-interest loans to help millions of students pay for college.
    • Many state governments and colleges also use the FAFSA to determine eligibility for nonfederal aid.
    • Unfortunately, some students feel like they shouldn’t bother filling out a FAFSA because of some common myths. These include:
      • “I (or my parents) make too much money, so I won’t qualify for aid.”
      • “Only students with good grades get financial aid.”
      • “I’m too old to get financial aid.”
      • “The form is too hard to fill out.”
    • However, these concerns are usually unfounded. For more information, download “Myths About Financial Aid” at http://studentaid.ed.gov/sites/default/files/financial-aid-myths.pdf.
  • Will I need to fill out the FAFSA each year?
    • Yes. Because eligibility for federal student aid does not carry over from one award year to the next, you need to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for each award year in which you are or plan to be a student.
    • Your eligibility for financial aid can differ from year to year for various reasons, including your family’s financial situation and the number of your family members enrolled in college.

Interested in Doane? Let us know.



Every college degree is its own adventure. Start yours today. More ›