Doane University SUCCESS Scholarship Program
Doane's STEM Growth Initiative
Even if you’re the new kid, you can be a SUCCESS here from Day 1. (But maybe you should unpack first.)
The SUCCESS Program is a scholarship program for students with interests of careers in STEM fields (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics). SUCCESS scholars can receive financial support of up to $10,000/year for all four years at Doane (as determined by your FAFSA form). We anticipate an average award amount of $5,000/year, with a minimum scholarship of $2000/year.
For the incoming class of 2017-2018 we anticipate having 5-6 scholarships available (depending on the size of scholarships awarded).
The SUCCESS in the program name stands for Sustaining Undergraduate Classroom and Career Excellence for STEM Students.
This program is intended for students who plan to go into a STEM career (for example, but not limited to, a research scientist, engineer, etc.). This program is NOT intended for students interested in pre-health careers (i.e. physician, physical therapist, dentist, nurse, physician's assistant)
Additionally, as part of the program you should intend to major in: Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Physics (Physics with a Pre-Engineering focus), or Environmental Science
Membership IN THE SUCCESS PROGRAM comes with BENEFITS:
- Faculty mentors across the sciences that are always excited to talk to you about any aspect of science, from new scientific discoveries to how to get involved in research
- They are good at answering life-at-college-questions, too
- Special housing for SUCCESS Scholars so that you and your fellow scholars can be a cohesive unit
- There will be a STEM upperclass student living right down the hall that will be your SUCCESS Program liaison
- Individual guidance to jumpstart your STEM career
- Attend weekly STEMinars which will help you increase and deepen your understanding of new STEM discoveries by exploring cutting edge research, and discuss STEM careers (and the paths to those careers)
- Special SUCCESS Program social events in both Crete and Lincoln
- Meetings with regional and local STEM employers
THE SUCCESS PROGRAM also comes with some expectations:
- Enrolling in the SUCCESS LAR-101 section
- Attendance of STEMinars and other workshops throughout your college careers, like lectures, workshops or Alumni Master luncheons.
- STEMinars will be during your first two years
- Living in the SUCCESS Program "Living-Learning" community residence hall during your first year in the program
- Participation in SUCCESS Program workshops during your junior and senior years
- Be a declared major in: Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Physics, or Environmental Science
- Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (so not just in your STEM courses)
- Must be on track to graduate in four years (as determined by your Four-Year Graduation Plan that you will make with your academic advisor in your major)
Eligibility for the success program
To be considered for the scholarship, students should:
- Apply and be admitted to Doane University by January 31, 2017
- Have a minimum high school 3.0 GPA*
- * While this is an ideal criteria, Doane's Selection Committee recognizes that GPA is not always reflective of a student’s ability. Candidates who score slightly below this criteria will be considered as long as they demonstrate strengths in other areas.
- Apply for SUCCESS Program through January 31, 2017
- Complete a short 250-300 word essay on the SUCCESS application (see application for specific essay prompt)
- Have a recommendation letter from a High School Science or Math teacher or mentor sent to the selection committee via DoaneSUCCESS@doane.edu.
- Create a short introduction video discussing what parts of science are most exciting to you and why (see application for specific video prompt)
- After the applications are evaluated, the selection committee will select students to have a "face-to-face" interview. This interview will ideally be on campus, but can be done over Skype/FaceTime or by phone.