Doane's Mentoring and Leadership Initiative
Even if you’re the new kid, you can be a leader here from Day 1. (But maybe you should unpack first.)
Directions is designed for first-year students who were leaders in high school and want to lead at college and beyond. Each year, about 40 incoming students are selected to participate and will receive an annual Directions Leadership Award of $1,500.
Membership comes with:
- Mentors who teach ways to get involved. They are good at answering life-at-college-questions, too.
- A two-story suite in Hansen Leadership Hall, an upperclass residence hall.
- Individual guidance to jumpstart your leadership career.
- Attend a weekly leadership class which will help you increase and deepen your leadership abilities by exploring leadership theories, obstacles and techniques.
It also comes with some expectations:
- Attendance of Hansen Leadership events, like lectures, workshops or Alumni Master luncheons.
- Participation in a group service project. Service is the core of leadership, and this provides an opportunity to give back and put leadership skills to use.
To be considered, students should:
- Apply and be admitted to Doane College by January 31, 2015
- Have a minimum 3.5 GPA
- Apply for Directions Program by January 31, 2015
- Complete a resume
- Complete essay questions on the application
- Have a recommendation letter sent
- Create a short introduction video
- Complete on-campus interview by February 28, 2015 (also accept Skype, FaceTime, or over the phone)