Doane's Mentoring and Leadership Initiative
Even if you’re the new kid, you can be a leader here from Day 1. (But maybe you should unpack first.)
Directions is designed for first-year students who were leaders in high school and want to lead at college and beyond. Each year, about 40 incoming students are selected to participate.
Membership comes with:
- Mentors who teach ways to get involved. They are good at answering life-at-college-questions, too.
- A two-story suite in Hansen Leadership Hall, an upperclass residence hall.
- Individual guidance to jumpstart your leadership career.
- Attend a weekly leadership class which will help you increase and deepen your leadership abilities by exploring leadership theories, obstacles and techniques.
It also comes with some expectations:
- Attendance of Hansen Leadership events, like lectures, workshops or Alumni Master luncheons.
- Participation in a group service project. Service is the core of leadership, and this provides an opportunity to give back and put leadership skills to use.