Department of Modern Languages
It is increasingly useful for professionals to speak more than one language.
Immersing yourself into another culture shows adaptability, illustrates a willingness to learn and to be challenged, and emphasizes a multicultural mindset.
These skills are beneficial in college and in the professional world. With the ease of international business, the rising number of people in the U.S. who don't speak English as a first language, and the opportunities that arise from being multilingual, studying modern languages and culture has never been more important.
At Doane, students are offered three language majors to study - French, German, and Spanish. The students are immersed in the major to ensure they come out of college with a complete, well-rounded education of the culture and language they chose.
Doane is one of the only colleges in the United States that make it a requirement for Modern Language majors to study abroad for at least a semester. There are travel abroad opportunities throughout the year - many led by faculties. Also, students each have a $1,000 travel scholarship at their disposable for studying abroad. We not only push you to experience the world, we also help pay for it!
See below for more information on studying abroad.
why learn a language?
There are many benefits to learning a language.
- Learning a language has shown to be beneficial in the students' reading abilities.
- There is evidence that language learners can transfer skills from one language to another.
- There is a correlation between language learning and students' ability to hypothesize in science.
- Learning a language has been shown to correlate with the learners' problem solving ability.
- Learning a language correlates with combating memory loss.
- Most importantly, learning a language helps gain an understanding and appreciation of another culture.
Read about these, as well as other findings, here.
why study abroad?
Anyone who has traveled or studied abroad could relay the benefits of the experience. We've made it easier.
Here is what a few of the professionals have to say.
- Increase intercultural development and global awareness.
- An increase in personal growth - maturity, self-confidence, self-efficacy, etc.
- Networking options. Making professional and personal friends from your time abroad is one of the best ways to be introduced to your future career.
- Increase your knowledge of the world.
- Take on real-world issues outside of your textbook.
- Improve your critical thinking skills.
- Advance your language skills.
- Develop an appreciation and understanding of cultures outside your own - become culturally relativistic.
For more information about Doane's study abroad programs, click here.
Cassandra Kennedy '16 and other students illustrate the highlights of their study abroad experience in this parody video of why students "shouldn't" study abroad.
The fulbright program
In the last 64 years, Doane has sent 67 recipients around the world. The Fulbright Program is a paid study abroad experience for a year that students, teachers, and scholars have the opportunity to apply for. With recipients having gone to over 14 countries, Doane was recognized by the Chronicle of Higher Education for its output of Fulbright scholars after four out of nine students who applied received the prestigious award. For more information about the Fulbright Program, click here.