Students are recommended for certification when all of the following criteria have been met:
- Successful completion of the student teaching experience with a recommendation from both the cooperating teacher(s) and the college supervisor.
- Successful completion of the major(s) for which you are seeking certification.
- Attainment of a cumulative grade point average of 3.00 in all courses.
- Attainment of a cumulative grade point average of 3.00 in all education courses.
- Attainment of a cumulative grade point average of 2.80 in all courses in the major.
- Completion of the 12 graduate credits in the summer following graduation (Summer graduate coursework)
NOTE: Content Testing
Candidates applying for any initial endorsement/certification to be placed on a Nebraska certificate must provide evidence they have passed the required Praxis II content test for the endorsement or certification. Candidates can check the ETS web site for the particular test required for each content area endorsement/certification and the qualifying score.
The education faculty recommends to the Certification Officer of the college (Doane University's certification officer is the Chairperson of the Education Division) those students whom they believe should be certified. The Certifying Officer then recommends those students to the Teacher Education Committee for their approval.
Any student who is denied certification has the right of appeal of the decision to the Teacher Education Committee. Procedures for appeal are as follows:
- Personal interview with the Chair of the Education Division.
- Setting a date for the Teacher Education Committee to meet as a whole for reconsideration.
- Personal appearance before the Committee, with another faculty member as consul or with one of the cooperating teachers if they desire, for the purpose of presenting additional data and answering questions prior to Committee vote.
- Committee adjourns to Executive Session for the purpose of making the final decision.
(Includes Certification and Employment Rates)