Chapters and Groups
Doane currently has chapters which serve alumni in the following areas:
Rocky Mountain Chapter for the greater Denver area
Capital Alumni Chapter for the greater Lincoln area
Omaha Alumni Chapter for the GREATER OMAHA Area
- KANSAS CITY ALUMNI CHAPTER FOR THE KANSAS CITY GREATER AREA
TRI-CITY ALUMNI CHAPTER FOR THE GRAND ISLAND, HASTINGS, KEARNEY AREA
A Chicago Chapter is currently forming. Contact the Alumni Office if you are interested in serving on the steering committee.
Click here to review the chapter and affinity group handbook to learn how you can help in your area. Email the Alumni Office at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in volunteering for an alumni chapter board in your area.
Alumni Chapter Goals
Alumni chapters, whether they meet face to face or online, are a critical link between alumni and the College while providing opportunities for Doane College alumni to maintain an active role in the life of the institution through leadership, inquiry, ethical values, and engagement. Alumni chapters are vital to the work of Doane College.
The purpose and goals of Doane College alumni chapters are:
- To establish and maintain a closer connection between Doane College and its alumni and friends.
- To advance the interests and welfare of the College and today's students.
- Promote alumni participation in the development and advancement of the institution through financial support.
- To provide a variety of opportunities for Doane College alumni to interact with each other while engaging with the College in a meaningful way.
What Makes a Successful Alumni Chapter
A successful alumni chapter is one that provides opportunities for Doane College alumni to maintain an active role in the life of the College. Alumni chapters are a great way to enhance Doane as nothing else can, because they are volunteer driven. They serve and respond to local alumni, assist in recruiting good students, demonstrate the public pride in the College, and help with the College's fundraising efforts. The spirit of Doane lasts a lifetime.
Types of Chapters
A spirit chapter can be started in areas where fewer than 500 graduates live or alumni participation rates are currently low. Volunteers make up a steering committee and carry out events they want to sponsor. An activity box of decorations, name tags, door prizes and brochures are provided to each spirit chapter along with current information to share about the college. Spirit chapters can celebrate as often as they want with activities such as Friday After Club gatherings, football watch parties, dinners, receptions, etc. The sky is the limit!
Geographic areas with 500 + alumni or high participation rates can become chartered when they complete 4 annual requirements:
- Host an annual activity with a College program and invite all chapter members.
- Recruit at least five new attendees for events throughout the year.
- Send roster of current officers and board members to the Alumni Office.
- Adopt bylaws that are approved by the Alumni Office.
Alumni organizations based on similar interests and shared memories can also be a great way to bring alumni together. Affinity chapters can be based on a variety of different factors, including:
- Specific department or major (finance majors, science department)
- Professional industry (educators, attorneys)
- Ethnic background (AAFRO)
- Campus organization (alumni band)
- Stage of life (young alumni, Half Century Club)
For more information on the alumni chapters, contact Anne Ziola, director of Alumni Relations, at 402.826.6795 or 800.333.6263.