Arts Are Basic
Register for Summer 2016 WorkshopRegister Now
Arts Are Basic (AAB) is an aesthetic education program in which participating teachers, working with visual or performing artists to develop classroom curriculum for their own students. These activities allow their students to experience the creative process through an exploration of elements that are integral to a work (or works) of art (which serve as the text). Fundamental to the AAB program, interdisciplinary (social studies, language arts, science, math, etc.) curricular needs are also addressed by these activities. Specifically, AAB in the CETL at Doane offers the following:
- PreK-12 teacher program – This is a three-part program designed to help teachers bring art to the center of learning. It begins with a summer workshop annually offered by AAB.
- MYArts Project (Multicultural Youth Arts Project) - This after-school program supports community organizations and at-risk youth.
- College faculty workshop – This workshop is offered to college professors at times throughout the year.
- Master of Education course – This course is offered to high school teachers as a one-week summer course as part of Doane’s Master of Education program.
- Undergraduate teacher education course unit(s) – Working with Doane teacher education and aesthetic arts faculty members, elements of the AAB are being incorporated into undergraduate teacher education programs.